Registration is open now for Arts Umbrella Dance summer intensive programs, taking place in July 2021. World-renowned teachers, choreographers and repetiteurs join Arts Umbrella faculty to offer a dance experience helping young artists to reach their performance potential.
Classes take place in Arts Umbrella’s new state-of-the-art education centre on Granville Island, in freshly-outfitted, naturally-lit dance studios, complete with sprung floors and high-quality facilities.
The Junior Summer Dance Intensive (JSDI) is one of the few intensive summer programs for younger dancers in Metro Vancouver. Featuring ballet, character, modern, repertoire and jazz, it’s for ages 8-12 (Academic Grades 3-7) and a minimum of two years’ dance experience is required. The Teen Summer Dance Intensive (TSDI) is dancers ages 12+ (Academic Grade 7) and is a five-day program designed for teen dancers seeking a high level of instruction.
We are very privileged to have Maiko Miyauchi joining us as a Guest Artist on the Junior Summer Dance Intensive this year. Maiko is a graduate of the Ecole de Ballet Classic, Tokyo Junior Ballet and Goh Ballet Academy. Combining her ballet training with hip hop and jazz influences, Maiko has worked and choreographed for artists like Young MC, Elise Estrada and Cory Lee. Co-Director of OURO Collective, her current focus is contemporary dance.
Joining us as a Guest Artist for the Teen Summer Dance Intensive is Christoph von Riedemann. Christoph grew up dancing at Arts Umbrella and, after graduating, joined Ballet BC where he danced for four years. He has worked with several reputed artists such as Crystal Pite, Sharon Eyal, Johan Inger and Company 605. He joined GöteborgsOperan Danskompani in Sweden in 2019.
Also bringing her expertise and love of dance to the TSDI is choreographer, performer and teacher Megan Lawson. Born in Calgary before becoming immersed in the LA dance scene, Megan’s credits include LALA Land, Nike, Ariana Grande, Katy Perry and Shania Twain. Most recently she was co-director and lead choreographer of Madonna’s Madame X Theatre tour.
We have several Guest Artists joining us from Ballet BC this year:
- Kirsten Wicklund (JSDI): In her seventh season with Ballet BC, Kirsten has danced works by Lesley Telford, Medhi Walerski, William Forsythe and Emmanuel Gat.
- Zenon Zubyk (JSDI): An Arts Umbrella graduate who since joining Ballet BC has performed works by William Forsythe, Crystal Pite and Sharon Eyal among others.
- Emily Chessa (JSDI): Another Arts Umbrella graduate whose professional experience includes work with Ballet BC and Nederlands Dans Theater 1.
- Justin Rapaport (TSDI): A graduate of The Julliard School in his fifth season with Ballet BC, who has worked choreographers such as Crystal Pite, Aszure Barton and Ohad Naharin
Arts Umbrella faculty for the Junior Summer Dance Intensive:
- Sabra Perry: A former performer with National Ballet of Canada, ballet mistress with Complexions, and faculty member at Ballet Academy East in New York.
- Katrina Cruikshank: A graduate with honours from the Teacher Training program at Canada’s National Ballet School who has worked with leading dance mentors in Ballet, Pointe, Character Dance, Creative Movement, Modern and Music.
- Andrea Hodge: A former dancer with Ballet BC who has worked with John Alleyne, Mark Godden, Dominique Dumais and Crystal Pite.
- Maddy Gilbert: A dance teacher who has toured Europe with Arts Umbrella Dance Company, participated in performances by Netherlands Dans Theater, and worked with Ballet BC.
Arts Umbrella faculty for the TSDI:
- Livona Ellis: A recipient of the Vancouver Mayor’s Arts Award for Emerging Artists in 2017, Livona has staged productions in Europe and performed works by several world-renowned artists.
- Kennedy Kraeling: Trained at Canada’s National Ballet School and Arts Umbrella, Kennedy has travelled the world performing as a full company member with Les Ballets Jazz de Montreal.
- Jacq Smith: A graduate of the Edmonton School of Ballet’s professional program, Jacq has studied across Canada, embracing numerous styles of performance throughout her life.