May is the busiest month at Arts Umbrella. Just take a look at this incredible list of performances, shows, tours, and exhibitions. Young artists ages 2 to 19 show their immense creativity during May and June in our Expressions Festival. With dozens of opportunities to see theatre and dance as well as visual, applied, and media arts, it’s the largest showing of young artists in the city. Here’s more about what’s happening at Arts Umbrella and in Vancouver this month:
- Plant Life, exhibit by Alex Waber Until May 14, 2016 The exhibit “focuses on the boundaries of the two-dimensional medium of photography.” Part of Capture Photography Festival. GAM Gallery, 110 E Hastings St
- Theatre Matinees for Schools May 11, 13, 17-20, 2016 For many young audience members, Arts Umbrella performances are their first exposure to theatre. Shows can also reiterate in-class learning, and this year’s Expressions Festival introduces Shakespeare from the stage, World War II history from a child’s perspective, and classic fairytales with a creative eye. Waterfront Theatre, 1412 Cartwright St., Granville Island
- Theatre & Music Expressions performances May 12-15, May 17-22, 2016 Arts Umbrella Theatre & Music presents five fabulous productions performed by talented young artists. Join us and be inspired by the creativity on stage. Waterfront Theatre, 1412 Cartwright St., Granville Island
- Early Learning Exhibit May 16-June 4, 2016 Our youngest artists present lively, bright, and whimsical works for all to enjoy. AU Granville Island, 1286 Cartwright St.
- AUDC Season Finale May 26-28, 2016 This is the culmination of months of exploration and rehearsal of bold and innovative works created for AUDC dancers by leading International and Canadian choreographers. Expect extraordinary, cutting-edge performances. Vancouver Playhouse, 600 Hamilton St.
- Your Future Home: Creating the New Vancouver Until May 15, 2016 This exhibition immerses people in an experience that spotlights 23 visions for tomorrow’s city. Come learn how citizens contribute to the building of Vancouver and explore ideas proposed by the city’s most talented designers, including this 2500-foot tower from Henriquez Partners Architects. Museum of Vancouver, 1100 Chestnut Street.
- Vancouver International Children’s Festival May 30 – June 5, 2016 Head down to Granville Island for the Vancouver International Childrens Festival May 30 to June 5. Enjoy spectacular performances from around the globe for kids and families of all ages. Acrobatics, puppetry, theater, music and lots of arts activities. Granville Island
- Arts Umbrella Dance Recital: June 9-12, 2016 at the Vancouver Playhouse
- Surrey Visual Arts Exhibit: June 1-9, 2016 at AU South Surrey
- Visual, Applied & Media Arts Expressions Exhibition, June 9-12, 2016 at Boca del Lupo, 1398 Cartwright St.
- Arts Umbrella Invitational: June 27, 2016 at Point Grey Golf & Country Club
Hey, arts fans!
Former students, instructors, assistants, accompanists – did we miss you? We’d love to share listings about any upcoming performances, exhibitions, talks, shows, or arts events. Tell us about it by email: firstname.lastname@example.org