Musicals, interactive events, dance, theatre, world musicians and more are among the upcoming events in February 2016. Take a look what the Arts Umbrella community is up to:
- Sub Rosa, new works by Jessica Jang Jan 20-March, 2016 “The gallery is reimagined as a site of a party.” Opening Fri Jan 22, 7pm. YACTAC Gallery, Centre A Artist-Run-Centre, 229 E Georgia St.
- Company Jan 22-Feb 14, 2016 The Stephen Sondheim musical follows commitment-phobic Bobby and the five married couples who are his best friends. With AU instructor Cassady Ranford. Jericho Arts Centre, 1675 Discovery.
- On the Table Jan 22-Mar 23, 2016 Fourteen Canadian and international artists, including AU instructor Jason Wright, present works on the subject of food. Dunlop Art Gallery, Regina, SK.
- Pride & Prejudice Jan 28-Feb 28, 2016 An adaptation of Jane Austen’s beloved classic tale of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. With AU instructor Kaitlin Williams and AU alumni Daniel Deorksen and Kayla Deorksen. Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage, 2750 Granville St.
- Mixa-Pedia (Play With It) Feb 4-27, 2016 Exhibition of ceramic art by the Contemporary Ceramic Collective, including AU’s Suzy Birstein. Gallery of BC Ceramics, 1369 Cartwright St.
- Sunday Performance Series Feb 7, 2016 Arts Umbrella Dance Company performs new and innovative works-in-progress by leading Canadian choreographers alongside featured special guest artists. Roundhouse Community Centre, 181 Roundhouse Mews.
- Sal Ferreras and Drum Heat Feb 12, 2016 To benefit Arts Umbrella Surrey, Sal Ferreras brings together some of Surrey’s most outstanding world music and jazz artists such as percussionists Gurp Sian, Rayman and Karn Bhuller, bassist Jodi Proznick, and pianist Miles Black. Surrey Arts Centre, 13750 88 Ave., Surrey.
- Capture the Winterruption Moment! Feb 20-21, 2016 Come visit Granville Island during Winterruption and snap photos on your smartphone. Then, stop by Arts Umbrella to print your experience on state of the art digital printers. AU Granville Island, 1286 Cartwright St.
- Come Together 2016 March 4-6, 2016 A celebration of Arts Umbrella’s past, present and future in Theatre and Music featuring special guest performances by Arts Umbrella Instructors and Alumni! Performance Works, 1218 Cartwright St.
- Program 2 – Ballet BC March 17-19, 2016 A world-premiere showcases work by choreographer Medhi Walerski that “celebrates the creative and collaborative spirit of art and our humanity”. The Arts Umbrella Graduate Dance Program dancers will join Ballet BC on stage. Queen Elizabeth Theatre, 630 Hamilton St.
Hey, arts fans!
Former students, instructors, assistants, accompanists – did we miss you? We’d love to share listings about any upcoming performances, exhibitions, talks, shows, or arts events. Tell us about it by email: email@example.com