Sharing our monthly arts events is becoming a favourite endeavour, as we get to hear more about the creative projects our wonderful artist-instructors and staff take on outside our studios, classrooms, and offices.
- Ballet BC – Program 1 Nov 5-7, 2015 The first program of Ballet BC’s 2015/16 season includes: a World Premiere by Belgian – born Stijn Celis in collaboration with one of the finest male vocal ensembles in North America, Chor Leoni; the Canadian Premiere of Solo Echo by Vancouver-based Crystal Pite; and, the reprisal of Cayetano Soto’s sensational Twenty Eight Thousand Waves. With Arts Umbrella alumni Emily Chessa, Livona Ellis, Alexis Fletcher, Scott Fowler, Christoph Von Riedmann, Albert Galindo, and Nicole Ward. Queen Elizabeth Theatre
- PEOPLE Nov 6-29, 2015 (Thu-Sun) This “wonderfully funny” play follows an impoverished aristocrat who desperately needs to raise funds to repair a stately home. With AU staff member Kevin Hatch. Directed by Adam Henderson. Jericho Arts Centre, 1675 Discovery – Tickets
- The Amish Project Nov 6-21, 2015 In 2006, the Amish of Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania forgave the man who walked into their schoolhouse and shot 10 girls. With AU alumnus Susie Coodin. Directed by Evan Frayne. Pacific Theatre, 1440 W. 12th Ave. – Tickets
- Eastside Culture Crawl Nov 19-22, 2015 Four-hundred artists present an incredible mix of art, crafts, and design works in their studios. Featuring many Splash artists and some Arts Umbrella instructors. Throughout the Eastside, from Columbia Street to Victoria Drive, and north of 1st Avenue – Find an artist
- GLOW Nov 21-22, 2015 Six dancers move through awkwardly beautiful shapes – cascading across the stagelike fractured ice sculptures. Created by AU instructor Desirée Dunbar. Moberly Arts & Cultural Centre, 7646 Prince Albert St – Tickets
- Book Swap Nov 22, 2015 Bring some books, swap some books, read some new books. This swap event is a great way to refresh your library. Go say hi to AU instructor Kellie Diguangco! Museum of Vancouver, 1100 Chestnut St
- The Pointed Sticks Nov 28, 2015 Legendary Vancouver indie rockers The Pointed Sticks play songs from their newest CD, along with favourites spanning their extensive career. Opening acts include the glam-rockin’ POLLY, featuring AU Marketing Manager Eric Lowe on drums. Rickshaw Theatre, 254 E Hastings St – Tickets
- The Winter Shorts Festival Dec 4-6, 2015 Winter Shorts showcases performances by students in all Year-Long Theatre and Music programs. Throughout the year, students in our Intensive and Pre-Professional Theatre Programs explore a variety of theatrical tools and techniques as well as discover their own creative expression. Performance Works, 1218 Cartwright St.
- Mixed Nuts Dec 18-19, 2015 A classic holiday performance reinvented with a twist – AUDC’s modern and engaging retelling of Tchaikovsky’s “The Nutcracker”. This year features old favourites and new pieces choreographed by leading Vancouver and Canadian dancers including Ballet BC and Kidd Pivot company members. Vancouver Playhouse, 600 Hamilton St.
- The Rivals Dec 28, 2015-Jan 23, 2016 Blackbird Theatre presents this Richard Brinsley Sheridan play with a stellar cast, including AU alumna Luisa Jojic. The Cultch Historic Theatre, 1895 Venables St – Tickets
Hey AU Alumni!
Former students, instructors, assistants, accompanists – did we miss you? We’d love to share listings about any upcoming performances, exhibitions, talks, shows, or arts events. Tell us about it by email: firstname.lastname@example.org