Inspiring performances and art exhibitions featuring young artists ages 2-19
This is the largest showing of young artists in the city. Arts Umbrella’s Expressions Festival is an opportunity to celebrate young artists and their boundless creativity.
“Sharing work with an audience is an important part of the creative process,” says Lucille Pacey, President & CEO. “Arts Umbrella’s Expressions Festival not only celebrates thousands of young artists, but it helps students practice collaboration, grow in their self-esteem, and develop self-confidence.”
The Festival features student work in four engaging Theatre performances at the Waterfront Theatre, three art exhibits from all ages of Visual & Media Arts students, and a Dance Season Finale with work by the award-winning Arts Umbrella Dance Company (AUDC) at the Vancouver Playhouse.
Every discipline, every class, and virtually every Arts Umbrella spring session student showcases work during the Festival, allowing young artists to take pride in their accomplishments, and share that pride with family, friends, and the community.
Visual & Media Arts
- Early Learning Visual Arts Exhibition, May 11-31, Arts Umbrella Granville Island
- Exposure: Visual, Applied & Media Arts Exhibition, June 4-7, Waterfall Gallery, 1540 West 2nd
- South Surrey Expressions Celebration, June 6, Arts Umbrella South Surrey, N116-15850 26 Avenue, Surrey, including an Open Creative Drama Workshop for ages 6-12
- South Surrey Visual Arts Exhibition, June 3-13, Arts Umbrella South Surrey, N116-15850 26 Avenue, Surrey
- Alice in Wonderland, May 21 & 22, Waterfront Theatre, Granville Island
- The Martian Chronicles, May 21 & 22, Waterfront Theatre, Granville Island
- Bring It On, May 23 & 24, Waterfront Theatre, Granville Island
- Theatre & Music Year-end Showcase, May 24, Waterfront Theatre, Granville Island
- Arts Umbrella Dance Company Season Finale, May 21-23, Vancouver Playhouse, 600 Hamilton
- Arts Umbrella Dance Program Recital, June 11-14, Vancouver Playhouse, 600 Hamilton
Tickets and details for all Expressions Festival events are online at www.artsumbrella.com/expressions. All Visual & Media Arts exhibitions are free to the public.
About Arts Umbrella
Arts Umbrella is a not-for-profit arts education centre where young artists cultivate creativity through Visual and Performing Arts programs. Since 1979, we’ve opened the doors for all kids ages 2 to 19 to learn, innovate, and achieve goals through arts education. Arts Umbrella students range from preschoolers to pre-professionals, taking part in 785 classes at four locations. Each year, more than 21,500 children experience the arts at Arts Umbrella – and about two-thirds do so at no cost to their families. For more, visit artsumbrella.com or find us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter @artsumbrella.
Eric Lowe, Marketing & Communications Manager