It’s the most wonderful time of the year for arts and culture. Spend the dark evenings of winter in a local gallery, theatre, or performance space. Here’s what our friends, staff, instructors, and alumni are up to this month:
- Big Joy Festival Dec 2-6, 2015 This music festival showcases experimental acts and includes shows at Remington Gallery. 108 E Hastings St – Details
- Ann Goldberg: Hyperclarity Dec 3, 2015-Jan 16, 2016 Solo exhibition by hyperrealist painter (and Arts Umbrella Board Member), Ann Goldberg. Hyperclarity showcases oil on canvas paintings as well as new mixed media works. Winsor Gallery, 258 E. 1st Ave.
- The Winter Shorts Festival Dec 4-6, 2015 Winter Shorts showcases performances by students in all Year-Long Theatre and Music programs. Throughout the year, students in our Intensive and Pre-Professional Theatre Programs explore a variety of theatrical tools and techniques as well as discover their own creative expression. Performance Works, 1218 Cartwright St.
- Chelsea Hotel Dec 15, 2015-Jan 9, 2016 Six performers – including AU’s Christina Cuglietta – play 17 (!) different instruments to perform an eclectic cabaret of Leonard Cohen tunes. Firehall Arts Centre, 280 E. Cordova St. – Tickets
- Mixed Nuts Dec 18-19, 2015 A classic holiday performance reinvented with a twist – AUDC’s modern and engaging retelling of Tchaikovsky’s “The Nutcracker”. This year features old favourites and new pieces choreographed by leading Vancouver and Canadian dancers including Ballet BC and Kidd Pivot company members. Vancouver Playhouse, 600 Hamilton St.
- The Rivals Dec 28, 2015-Jan 23, 2016 Blackbird Theatre presents this Richard Brinsley Sheridan play with a stellar cast, including AU alumna Luisa Jojic. The Cultch Historic Theatre, 1895 Venables St – Tickets
- Sunday Performance Series Jan 17, 2016 Arts Umbrella Dance Company performs new and innovative works-in-progress by leading Canadian choreographers alongside featured special guest artists. Performance Works, 1218 Cartwright St. – More info
- Company Jan 22-Feb 14, 2016 The Stephen Sondheim musical follows commitment-phobic Bobby and the five married couples who are his best friends. With AU instructor Cassandra Frederickson. Jericho Arts Centre, 1675 Discovery – More info
Hey arts fans!
Former students, instructors, assistants, accompanists – did we miss you? We’d love to share listings about any upcoming performances, exhibitions, talks, shows, or arts events. Tell us about it by email: firstname.lastname@example.org